Friday, December 12, 2008

One leg down

Makin' good on my blog-promises. Proof is in the ... carnage?

At any rate, I got to dissect eland legs today, from an expired female common eland (Taurotragus oryx) from a zoo that has an arrangement with the museum lab. Here's the initial photo. I have no idea why they only sent three legs, although it does provoke some interesting hypotheses on cause-of-death. I only got through the front leg today. Back leg next week, and hopefully the head too.

Btw, I saw the hook on the carpals which, when the tendon slides over it (at least in the males), causes the characteristic clicking sound that elands make - a new factoid published a couple months ago (and commented on here).

Update 12/13: Better pic. Love the flash.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home